OVEN ROAST – COOKING DIRECTIONS:
- Place 2-5 lb (1-2.5 kg) roast, fat side up, on rack in roasting pan
- Season roast; insert meat thermometer into centre of roast avoiding fat.
- Add 1/2 inch (1 cm) water to roasting pan.
- Cook roast, uncovered, in preheated 500ºF (260ºC) oven for 30 min.
- Reduce heat to 275ºF (140ºC); cook 1 1/4 – 1 3/4 hours until thermometer reads 155ºF (68ºC) for med.
- Roast is best cooked only to medium.
- Transfer roast to cutting board; tent with foil for 10-15 min to allow temperature to rise 5ºF (3ºC).
- Cut into thin slices across the grain.