Corn Fed on Ontario Farms
Since its introduction into the marketplace, Ontario Corn Fed Beef (OCFB) has provided consumers with consistently high-quality beef products. This consistent quality is made possible through the dedicated efforts of the approximately 500 cattle farmers who are registered under the program. Each farmer is required to keep detailed feeding and animal health records that are subject to audit.
Following grazing on open pastures, Ontario Corn Fed Beef program cattle are fed diets that are 80% corn and corn products for a minimum of 100 days at the end of the feeding period. These ingredients are most often grown or produced locally in Ontario. The other 20% of the diet will typically consist of hay, corn silage, and grain and oilseed crops, such as barley, oats, wheat and soybeans. Cattle produced for the OCFB program are fed diets that are nutritionally balanced to ensure the well being of the cattle and to provide high levels of nutrients in the beef produced.
Sustainable and Responsible Cattle Production
For a cattle operation to be sustainable, soil and water quality must be closely monitored and maintained. The Ontario Corn Fed Beef program supports the development of an environmental farm plan by OCFB registered farmers. Environmental Farm Plans are assessments prepared by farmers to increase their environmental awareness in up to 23 different areas on their farm.
Often the land utilized for grazing is not well suited to other types of agriculture and cattle production allows these areas to be used productively. Cattle are also an important contributor to a balanced and productive agriculture system.